Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WIP #1 Wednesday

This is my first WIP Wednesday in awhile!  Last week I was still focusing on 2013 but now time for new projects and to keeping better track of what I am working on and making progress.

So this past week I have been working on my Riley Blake challenge.  I made flying geese and then figured out how I wanted to lay them out and needed to sew it together.  Math and quilting go together however that has never been my strong suit.  So I am much more let's see how it goes and figure it out.

My first attempt left the final square too small so with that information I unsewed the pieces and tried again and it was a success.  I actually wrote down what I cut so I can repeat the process on the other half.  When I did get it to work I was really happy and loving how it is turning out.



With the fly geese came HST large enough for me to want to do something with them.  I shared this the other day and now I just need to figure out the back and quilt it.


I wanted to share this little ornament I found while on a quilting weekend with friends and gave to my husband to put in my stocking.  I had forgotten about it and actually thought - "wow how did he find this?"


That is my motto this year!  I have so many things I want to sew with plenty of fabric to sew through.  So hopefully this will be my reminder as I am not buying anything new for awhile.

In my hope to stay on task and a little more organized this year I had bought a small white board and each week I am writing down small goals that I would like to get done.  I think it is working.  I do have a few of the items checked off already for the week.  My plan is to update weekly but we will see. This hangs right above my cutting table.

#2 and #5 are done.  I think #1 and #3 can be done tonight.  It is gearing up to pull fabric for the City Sampler that I am not getting around to.  

This weekend should be fun since I am going with a few friends to the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts.  There is a truck show lecture on Saturday all day that I am going to and it should be fun! Lee will be there! Plus there is a Modern Quilt Exhibit and one of my quilts will be hanging in there with several others from the MMQG.  

Happy Sewing!  I am linking up to Lee at WIP Wednesday.



6 comments:

  1. What a coincidence: I've just made some hst's after making flying geese! Yours are a whole lot neater than mine though! Love the way the white you've used makes them really crisp and I especially like your hst layout :) Have fun at the quilt fair. Stephie @ www.dawnchorusstudio.com visiting via Freshly Pieced

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your HST quilt Beth. I like the nice crisp lines and the white background really makes it a modern design! That little ornament is adorable! :) I need one of those! :)

    I am giving away a fat quarter bundle on my blog this week. I would love for you to stop by and enter! Happy New Year!

    Inspiring Creations Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little ornament! I'm a little crazy for Riley Blake fabrics and I love what you did with the HST leftovers. Well done!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting from WIP wednesday. I love how neat and tidy you have the flying geese on the angle. That block is going to look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your geese and your triangles! so bright!!! Have fun at your quilty show...it must be exciting to have one of your own hanging too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the movement flying geese provide in a quilt, hence the term 'flying' I suppose, regardless it looks great. How will you quilt it?

    ReplyDelete