Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Retreat sewing

What a fun great weekend.  I love sewing for long periods of time and with friends how great is that? 

We headed out on Thursday morning first with coffee at Starbucks.  Then we headed to the first quilt store which was Primitive Gatherings.  They had beautiful quilts displayed. They have a lot of wool and civil war fabric.  I had that stage a few years ago and since I have not been using it no buying any more.  I still love the bubble gum pinks.  However, I did find the Swoon Pattern there.  I had been eyeing that up since last summer.  Then we headed to Piece by Piece.  This was a really nice shop and they had a lot of patterns with lots of bag samples as well.  Just a couple pieces of fabric here. In the same strip mall there was an Artist shop and a wine store. So we checked both of them out. Then lunch and our ride to "The Cabin".

We have to set up but doesn't take long with five of us so we were sewing well before dinner.  Nice sewing area with a large TV and fireplace.  Then a huge bar area with a pool table topped with a ping pong top.  That makes it super easy to cut or lay out and pin/spray baste a quilt.  Love no kneeling.



Thursday night I worked on sashing my Summerville patchwork, which I was able to finish that night.  I would have could have finished faster if I pay attention and did not have to rip!  Oh well, just pay a littler closer attention!

I then started on making blocks for my grandmothers quilt as well and had a good chunk of blocks done before bed and an all day Friday Sew I finished the top! I am happy how it turned out and I know she will love it! 



I then worked on the baby quilt.  I had planned on a solids baby quilt but in my bin from last year were rainbow batiks from the Warm/Cool quilt I made the year before.  So I sashed in white and finished it up. I just quilted in random lines.  I found the binding shopping on Saturday. 




We were able to go to a  couple more stores on Saturday.  The Cotton Thimble was first up.  I had found a stripe to finish up the baby quilt. Then we headed to Antoinette's Quilt Shop.  This shop just opened in the last year and I really enjoyed it.  Great staff and owner and some really cute lines with some good variety.  I did some damage here!   They also had a Bistro in the same strip mall and a great gift shop.  I know I will have to head back there sometime soon. 

We were gone all day so we didn't start sewing until late but we did get more done.  I then started on the solids charm pack and white for the Wiggly-Whimsy Quilt. I ran out of Kona white or I may have stayed up to finish those as well.  Well, at the least the blocks.

Sunday only gave us a few hours so I made 2 drawstring bags from In Color Order. Love those!  Then I had bought two fat quarters for one Swoon Block but of course I said no extra fabric so I have to cut right but I didn't so they are sending me a new one. Hate that when that happens but at least I can get a new fat quarter!

Oh my that is one long post!  I didn't get all things on my list done but I got a lot done and am really happy with them!  This weekend should be good as well since the hubby and son will be deer hunting.  I love these two weekends every year!



No comments:

Post a Comment