Monday, December 30, 2013

Stars and Strips

I had made a red, white and blue quilt earlier this year with the intention of donating it to QOV.  Then it occurred to me I should give it directly to a someone currently servicing.  So that began my goal to make each of my DS#1 friends a quilt.

Shine which I made back in March did not thrill me.  I didn't really like the pattern and my sewing was so off and I made the smaller version not knowing it final destination.  So I had the Ohio Stars done from 2 years ago.  I had started making the mystery quilt that Bonnie Hunter does each November but just didn't have the time nor inclination to finish it.  But I did finish those Ohio Stars and then they sat.  I wasn't sure what to do with them but knew I needed to use them.  They were alot of them, 54 total. So I went in search of inspiration.  Bonnie has a lot of free patterns and found the one I wanted in Ohio Stars and Rails.


I already had the stars done, I pulled all my 2.5" strips that were already cut and the only thing I need to get was the white strips.  I had the quilt done over a weekend of sewing in November.




























I used fabric I had in my stash for the back including the left over stars.  I quilted just a meandering again on this one and it went very quickly.  I had it done in one movie on TV and then I pulled the basting stitches which went pretty quickly.  I put a red scrappy binding on it.



I am so happy I finished another quilt off my Q4 Goals!  I will be linking up with She Can Quilt. That gives me 3 out of 5 done!  I am pretty happy with that.

Also linking up to NTT at My Quilt Infatuation and Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Happy Sewing.

8 comments:

  1. Beth, This is really, really beautiful!!! It will be a wonderful blessing to the recipient. Bless you. I am so thankful to those who protect our country by their service and sacrifices. A QOV quilt is on my to do list. Thanks for the inspiration. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really beautiful quilt, a treasure for sure. Red white and blue have always been one of my favorite color combos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love red, white and blue quilts, and you did an amazing job!!! I love this!! The backing is perfect too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, Beth- this is such a gorgeous quilt! the strips set off those stars just perfectly. LOVE it!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fantastic quilt. The fabrics are perfect. Love it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish for your quilt! Love how you were willing to add more elements to finish it up. Very inspiring, and I'm sure the recipient will love it. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bold design and the restricted palette - fab quilt, what a great gift! Stephie @ www.dawnchorusstuido.com

    ReplyDelete