Friday, February 1, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursday Linky

When I first saw this over on Sew Sweetness I thought what a fun idea. This is something I have wanted to write but just have not taken the time to do it.  So over on Mommy's Nap Time she has started a linky party and all you need to do is answer her question she has posed for that link.  Easy Enough!

When did you start sewing? Tell us a bit about your sewing history. When did you realize you were really hooked? 

My mom had always sewn garments and thought it was important that her daughter learn to sew as well.  So my mother had signed me up for sewing classes at Sears Department stores.  I was about 10 and not thrilled with going there Saturday mornings while my brother was able to play outside and watch cartoons.  There were no other kids in the class and only Grandmas teaching the class.  I don't even remember how many sessions there were.  I made some clothes, home projects and in general was always very crafty as a kid.  I remember the year my parents bought me a new winter long plaid coat and a sewing machine.  I had hit the jackpot. 

During college I took a tailoring class for "fun".  While I learned a lot I still did not have a lot of time to sew and the clothes I made didn't turn out the way I wanted.  The "fun" class for me was a serious class for the rest of the students who planned on doing this for a living!  I was not in the right class!  I was able to get a set of gingham scissors for both myself and my mother. Which we both still use to this day! 

I had always wanted to learn how to quilt so after college graduation and I had started working I had convinced a co-worker to take a quilt class at a LQS and so it started.  I think I was hooked right away.  Here is a picture of my first quilt! Do you love those calicos?



It wasn't too long after that I had decided I needed an updated sewing machine.  I bought my first machine the summer of 1991 about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant with my first child.  Thank goodness I bought the machine before I found out otherwise I am sure I would have waited.  I made my son a sailboat quilt.  I looked to see if I still had it but am not sure where I packed that away at.

While my mother had always sewn, she was never a quilter.  There was another shop that was having a quilt retreat so I had convinced my mother to learn how to quilt so my friend and I could be able to afford the quilt retreat.  That was in 1994 and to this day we have gone every year together. 

I found it difficult several years to get much quilting time in with working and have small children.  Then my favorite store had closed and I was not feeling very inspired so I made very few projects.  I still would make some occasional things but I was seriously considering not doing it anymore.

That was until I discovered the Internet and the blogging community.  I had been feeling stagnate and it seemed everything was the same old thing.  When I realized how much was out there to see and be inspired I was again motivated.  I wanted to sew more and I wanted to try new things. 

I had just recently said to my mom that I go to work and do the same kind of work each day. (I do love my job and what I do.) I don't need to do that in my hobby as well.  I need to expand my brain, try new things, go outside my box.  Well that is what I did!  I have made quilts I never thought I would. 

Here is one of the first quilt alongs I did over at In Color Order.
Warm and Cool Quilt along-Batiks by bhaferko


I also want to use my scraps to I have made a couple of Quiltville patterns and working on my third one now.

So I was hooked along time ago but now quilt with a new outlook and love it even more now!  I also have more time with one child away at college and the other now driving and in high school.  I am just waiting to convert the whole basement to my studio.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that quilt along you did with Color Order! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete