1. 5 Thread catcher - pin cushion thingys. November 13th
- I finished these! Yeah! I used the pattern from Oh Fransson on Sew Mama Sew's blog. I can tell you that I just don't do well with bag type things. Why did I choose directional prints? Oh I love it when I buy it but not when I am using it! When I sew, I like to just sew and not do too much thinking ahead so I just started to sew the first one up (the red spools). So I cut it, sewed it and then realized I did not cut it right for the direction of the fabric. So I ripped and resewed it so the spools were going in the right direction. That is why that is smaller and no facing. It turned out cute.
- So on to next one's I made the two white ones. Those turned out better but when I put on the facing I was getting some puckers.
- Then on to the last two. I love that fabric and now I knew it was directional right? Well I still cut it wrong, so I had to cut again! Then when I sewed that one up I didn't take into account that one side was fine but the other is upside down! I was tired so I left it! No facing on this one since I could not get them to fit just right. Since there was a front and back whose going to notice!?
So then then last one - ok I will get both sides right. Well I did get them going in the same direction but now my seams didn't match. I wasn't trying to since that had lapsed from my brain too!
I lined them up and had my husband look at them all. Of course I am telling him all of these things and he said, "let's keep this in perspective, they are garbage cans right? They look good all lined up" How sweet is that guy! I am still not thrilled with them but I will be gifting them and I am sure my friends will use them and like them. And if they want I will happily give them the pattern and they can make a new one. Maybe they could redo mine too! The pin cushion and hanger part turned out great! There are little pockets in them for small scissors and seam ripper (mine can never be too far from my side).
They took longer than I thought (lots of unsewing) and it is the thought that counts right. I can tell you I almost scrapped the whole idea but thought that is too much fabric to toss aside. So they are done and ready to go next weekend.
I think this one is my favorite.
So one thing off the list for Christmas. I plan on doing a few things tonight and I have been organizing the quilts that I want to finish by the end of the year so now I have lots of things ready to go and finish up.
Remaining on the list: (nothing new added)
2. Apron- chocolate theme - gift for my friend that we make chocolates together each year
3. 3 sets of pot holders and towels - gifts for co-workers
4. Knitted cowl - bought the yarn last year and want to wear this now!
5. Paper pieced pillow for SIL Xmas gift-nothing here at all
6. Xmas Table runner - gift for my son to give-fabric selected
Linking up at Quilt Matters. Now let's see how others are doing!