Friday, July 17, 2015

Graduation Quilt-Too Hip to be Square

I bought this fabric at my local quilt store with a coupon with out a plan for it.  So it sat for a little bit not really long considering the rest of the stash.

Then it hit me this is the perfect fabric for my youngest son's girlfriend for graduation.  I showed Sam the fabric and his response, "is that for Lauren? She would LOVE that."  Well, that is all I needed I already had the pattern picked from a free one from Moda Club.  I cut the fabric out while watching a movie and starting sewing it up.


Then I laid it out in the basement.  I kept a few of the blocks for the back. (I really to tidy up a bit.)


I quilted it with a meandering and an occasional paisley.  I liked the quilting and it went quickly.  I did have a deadline!  Notice the color of the lighter what appears to be green here.  It was a very light aqua color.  Basement night time lighting here for sure.

Here are a few pictures of it after I finished it.  I did not have it ready for the day of her party but did finish it in time for her birthday.  So it was a combination gift. There is a Tula Pink strip for the binding.
I had this Dear Stella paisley in my stash and it worked out really well with the left over blocks. I signed it in one of the boxes.
One more of the back and you can see the quilting on it.  I used my favorite Aurfil on this one 2600 Silver.  That color just blends perfectly.
Have to say she loved it!  These are her favorite colors and she loves animals.  I quilted her name and the year into the quilt as well but forgot to snap a picture of that.  I received a very sweet thank you note and it will be the center of her decorating for the dorm room come September.  

This is one of the quickest turn around I made on this quilt.  I think it was about a 3-4 weeks.  I really loved this pattern as well.

This one finished up about 60 X 70.

Linking up to all the Friday Parties - links are on the side bar.  

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt and I love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cheery and fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, and a great block choice! I like the back a lot, too. Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for fast finishes! She looks like she sure loves it. I think it looks fantastic. }

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your choice of fabrics is perfect. What a great idea for the back. Lucky girl;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I love your quilt! I googled "hip to be square" to try and find the pattern but no luck there. You write it's from the "Moda Club". Is that different from the Moda Bake Shop? Can you help? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this - what a cool way to use those fabrics, it is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this - what a cool way to use those fabrics, it is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. melange yarn

    ReplyDelete
  10. เลเซอร์หน้าใส เป็นอีกหนึ่งสิ่งใหม่ทางความงดงามที่ช่วยฟื้นฟูผิวหนังที่แห้งหยาบ บริเวณใบหน้าหมองคล้ำให้กลับมาแจ่มใสมองเบิกบานใจ ผ่องใสภายในช่วงเวลาอันเร็ว นับว่าเป็นทางลัดความงดงามที่กำลังเป็นที่นิยมสูง ช่วยเอาใจใส่ผิวให้ขาวกระจ่างขาวสวยใส จากการลดลางเลือนริ้วรอยจุดด่างดำได้อย่างมีคุณภาพ

    เลเซอร์หน้าใส
    เลเซอร์ลดริ้วรอย
    เลเซอร์รอยสิว

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is excellent information for everyone. I get a lot of useful information. Thank you a lot. By the way, I'm a gamer, and I'd like to recommend a shader pack for Minecraft to you. You can get the BSL Shaders  set here, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete